Vegetables are the sweetest yet tricky meals to prepare. Among the three food categories, they are the delicate and sensitive food category in terms of preparation.
It’s a genre of food that needs more attention lest you end up consuming zero nutrients.
There is a secret behind that lean body and glowing skin. Different vegetable types have different tastes and functions in the body.
To look but a few of them read on
- Cabbages: Responsible for proper digestion, reduce inflammation and boosts your immune system
- Carrots: Antioxidant and enhances eye health
- Cauliflower: Good for weight loss and supports proper digestion by reducing constipation
- Green Leafy vegetables: Improves cardiac health and support general well being
- Celery: Lowers your blood sugar
As you go for grocery shopping, you understand the kind of vegetables that suits your family.
Although in most cases you go with taste. You also need to check on the nutritive value of the foods.
That aside, the main challenge is how to maintain the delicate nutrients. When they can be eaten raw, it’s essential to stick to that rather than cooking them.
Here are the most recommended cooking methods for vegetables
Direct heat is the enemy of vegetable nutrients. You can pass through steam under low heat for a short time to get maximum benefits out of the foods.
The fact that the cooking method has moderate heat means that you are sure that the nutrients you consume are intact, just like they came from the farm.
Adding a little unsaturated oil comes in handy to improve the flavor of vegetables. Still, the idea of heat also comes into question.
To ensure you also get the best out of it, then you need to cook healthy using an air fryer of choice. What determines a good air fryer?
- Get one with adequate space
- Power consumption
- Efficiency in performance
- Insulated inner coating
To have a balanced diet, you need to have some vegetables on the grilled meats.
All vegetables are okay to grill, but you need to exercise control in terms of the temperature regulation.
The best way is to adjust the temperature knobs to accommodate the kind of vegetables.
Your objective is to prevent undercooking – raw food or overcooking- it destroys the nutrients.
Chefs advise you to invest in an automated griller to support this function.
Although roasting generally requires high heat, it’s different for vegetables. When you choose to roast vegetables, let the temperature not exceed 4000 F.
An enclosed roasting appliance is essential such that even if the smoke takes away the nutrients, they still find a way of being absorbed in the food.
Away from the cooking method, there are other practices that you need to have to maintain the nutritive value.
Here are a few of them
- Try and buy vegetable whey they are fresh or frozen
- But from the grocery store that you are sure of the source
- Where possible buy from the farms
- Cook variety of vegetable of different colors and different categories
What you need to know about cooking vegetables
- The cooking method plays a significant role to maintain the nutrients
- The freshness of the vegetables determines the nutritive value
- The first indicator of a well-cooked vegetable is the soft nature
- Every vegetable has a specific cooking method; there are no standard cooking procedures
- Cooking comes in handy to boosts the quality of the nutrients
- Eating raw vegetables supports faster absorption of the nutrients
Once you have all your ingredients and vegetables on the cooking top, strive to maintain the nutrients; hence you need to choose the best cooking method.